Manifesto

Manifesto

In 1923 Le Corbusier wrote that “a house is a machine for living in.” – by this he meant to emphasize the utilitarian function of the house. A beautiful house which is not a good apparatus for living in is an absurdity. Self experience has unfortunately forced me discover the value of this point by Le Corbusier, and has pushed me to develop the opinion that no matter how beautiful a house may seem, if it is impractical to live in, the beauty of it is meaningless. I am of the opinion that housing should not influence or affect the daily routine of its occupant’s, but instead, housing should be able to support different ways of daily living.

My personal architectural opinion involves focusing on “flexible housing that determines how you want to live.” Because living is a “dynamic” activity, I believe that housing should be designed to provide “spatial and functional diversity” and to also allow the ability to enable future modifications.

To summarise, my personal take on housing is that “living determines the house” and I feel that for 21st century houses, living should be the main factor that shapes the design of a house instead of allowing houses to shape the way people live.

This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.